CARRBORO, N.C. – Construction has started on the 203 Project at 203 S. Greensboro St., currently the site of a Carrboro municipal parking lot across from Open Eye Cafe. The project to complete a new library and civic building will be underway for the next 19 months.
Initially, only a portion of the project site will be closed for delivery of construction equipment and materials. The public will receive two weeks notice prior to the entire parking lot closure. Please find alternative parking locations at http://www.carrboronc.gov/DocumentCenter/View/11225/Carrboro-Parking-Map
The $42 million development will be the future home of the Orange County Southern Branch Library. The facility will also provide a permanent home for the Orange County Skills Development Center; Carrboro Recreation, Parks and Cultural Resources Department; WCOM Radio; and performance/multipurpose uses. The 203 Project will provide opportunities for education, art and community connection.
It will be a nearly 50,000 square foot public facility designed with energy efficiency and waste reduction features that will result in a LEED Gold equivalency. Green building features include stormwater control measures, daylighting, vegetative roofing and a state-of-the-art HVAC system. The project has received a Duke Energy building efficiency incentive.
While the parking lot currently holds about 88 parking spaces, upon completion of the new facility, the parking deck will have a 171 parking space capacity. This includes five electric vehicle charging spots. Another 25 parking spots will be installed with EV ready infrastructure for future upgrades. Additionally, 70 bike parking spots are planned.
- The Town of Carrboro will post monthly project updates to the community on the Town website and through social media. Sign up to receive Carrboro Town News updates at www.carrboronc.gov/signup
- If you would like to be included on a neighborhood email distribution list, which includes residents living in the adjacent neighborhood and the local business community, please notify email@example.com
- Town staff will document the construction progress with time-lapse photography. These visual updates will be posted at https://www.the203project.org/
- WATCH the groundbreaking video for this project at https://youtu.be/UhhQtZd1e-8
- For more information, contact Town of Carrboro Project Manager Ben Schmadake at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-918-7424.